Whether the idea of raw fish gives you the creeps, or you aren’t a fan of seafood in general, we have a solution to your problems. While the vegetarian options are great, we have some sushi inspired recipes that will get those taste buds excited.
10 alternatives to traditional sushi
- Bacon egg and cheese rolls: Reinvent breakfast with a bacon egg and cheese, maki-inspired breakfast roll. Start by placing cooked bacon on a flat surface. Place slices of cheese on the bacon followed by the eggs – we recommend scrambled. Roll it up into a tight roll and cut to the desired size.
- Avocado, kimchi, and mango rolls: For a morning pick me up, these rolls are amazing. Also following the basics of rolling maki (with rice and seaweed), the mango and kimchi pair well together and provide the ultimate taste bud sensation.
- Sushi burritos: Substitute your tortilla for seaweed and rice paper, packed it with a delicious salad and protein of your choice, it’s that simple.
- PB & J sushi: This one is great for kids. Roll a piece of bread flat, smear it with peanut butter and jelly and roll it up. Snack time is about to level up.
- Spicy shiitake rolls: Dried shiitake mushrooms transform boring maki rolls into delicious, chewy treats. They’re even versatile enough to spice up and season any way you would like to.
- Tomato sushi: Marinated tomato is the perfect addition to any meal and can even be paired with fish if you’re feeling experimental. With or without the fish, you can pair it with a wide range of veggies to transform boring vegetarian sushi.
- Sushi sandwich: This slightly squished version of a maki is rolled in a way that resembles a layered sandwich. The bottom layer can be tofu or potato, instead of a piece of meat and the rest of the layers are up to you.
- Sushi bowl: Often described as deconstructed sushi, this dish is essentially a carefully constructed, colourful rice salad packed with all of your favourite ingredients. It can be either sweet or savoury, depending on the ingredients you choose.
- Cucumber rolls: By hollowing out chunky cucumber slices, you can easily pack it with some of your favourite summer ingredients to create a delicious snack.
- Cheeseburger sushi: That’s right, you can turn a delicious cheeseburger into a beautifully crafted piece of sushi. Rolled out buns, flank steak, and your favourite burger toppings all go together to reinvent two of our favourite foods.
We’re by no means trying to sway you from enjoying a delicious sushi platter the old-fashioned way with friends or while playing the games we love.
On the contrary, we are trying to expose more people to the versatility that sushi has to offer. An overactive imagination, a pantry full of food, and a kitchen is all you need to reinvent this already impressive meal option.