Fruit sushi is a distinctive treat that children and adults alike will love. We’ve got everything you need to know on this delicious sushi twist.
How Do You Make Fruit Sushi?
The first step is to purchase a bag of sushi rice – regular rice will really not work. The sushi rice has to be rinsed well and then soaked for around 30 minutes. The next step after it comes off the heat is to ad in some sugar and coconut milk for flavour.
Here’s a more comprehensive recipe of how to make the sweet sticky rice.
- In a medium saucepan over medium to low heat, melt the butter and marshmallows until totally soft.
- Remove from the heat and then stir in the cooked rice until the mixture is well blended.
- Ensure that you spray the nigiri mould or ice cube tray evenly with non-stick spray.
- Take slices of the fruit medley and then place in the bottom of the meld or ice cube tray.
- Spoon the rice in and press into the fruit gently.
- Unmould the “sushi” and then top with mini chocolate chips and toasted coconut.
Another Variation On Fruit Sushi
- Put a soy wrap on the mat. On the soy wrap, place a rectangle of coconut batter. Flatten it with you hand in order to cover the whole soy wrap. Put the fruits you cut in a line at the end of the mat which is closest to you however leave some narrow margins.
- Lift the mat and then roll to cover the fruits. Go gently. Press the batter and fruits. Again toll in order to finish the sushi wrap.
- Cut the roll to eight pieces and then garnish with some more fruits.
The fruits we used are strawberries, kiwi, banana, pomegranates, dried cranberries, persimmon and dates. You may want to utilise fruits that are less watery as they work better.
You are able to garnish the fruit sushi with more fruits or with nuts. Serve it with a sweet dip such as melted chocolate or caramel.
The recipe yields between eight and 10 rolls
Fun Frushi Recipe
- 2 cups of boiling water,
- 5 cups of shredded coconut,
- 1 can of coconut cream,
- 280 grams (2 cups) of vanilla instant pudding mix,
- Soy wraps, and
- Cut fruits.
- In a pot, cook the coconut cream, water and instant pudding mix. Bring to a boil and then remove it from the heat.
- Stir in the shredded coconut and make sure that you mix well.
- Cool the batter in the fridge for two hours in an airtight container.
- Cut the fruits of your choice into sticks.
- Wrap a sushi mat with cling film and put a soy wrap on it.
- With your hands, spread coconut batter on the soy wrap so that you cover it all in a united layer.
- Put the fruits on the coconut batter.
- Start rolling the sushi as described above
- Cut the roll to eight.
- Garnish with more fruits.
- Enjoy with a game of real money Bingo or with friends at home!